Thursday 16 April 2015

SCCM 2012 Client Settings – Explained

SCCM 2012 Client Settings – Explained

Use client settings in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager to configure user and device settings for the hierarchy. Client settings include configuration options such as the hardware inventory and schedule, and the polling schedule for client policy.

All Configuration Manager clients in the hierarchy use the Default Client Settings that are automatically created when installing Configuration Manager. However, modification to the default client settings can be done and custom client settings can be created to override the default client settings for specific users or devices.

When creating a set of custom client settings, it must be assigned to one or more collections for the settings to be applied to the collection members. If applying multiple sets of custom client settings to the same user or device, the order in which these settings are applied can be configured according to the order that is specified. Custom device or user settings with an Order value of 1 are always processed last and will override any other configurations. The Default Client Settings has a permanent order of 10,000, which ensures it is always applied before any custom settings are applied. When there is a conflict of settings, the client setting that was applied last (with the lower order value) overrides any previous settings.

Custom client settings can be created at the central administration site or from any primary site in the hierarchy. Custom settings replicate to all sites in the hierarchy.

For information about how to configure client settings see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682067

Below a very short summary is shown.

clip_image001

Figure Client Settings

 

See the below only as proposals, each value should be evaluated at each account.

Configuration Manager Activity

Frequency

Comment

Background Intelligent Transfer

N/A

Specifies if clients should be limited when using BITS to download software

Cloud Services

N/A

Not used in my case, as I my client requirements I should follow :(

Client Policy

Default to 60 minutes, lower this for better response times

Specifies how often clients should check for new policies at their MP

Compliance settings

Default to 7 days, reduce if needed

See document CCM42-164 Compliance Settings Configuration.docx

Computer Agent

N/A

See the specs here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682067#BKMK_ComputerAgentDeviceSettings

Computer Restart

N/A

When you specify these computer restart settings, ensure that the value for the restart temporary notification interval and the value for the final countdown interval are shorter in duration than the shortest maintenance window that is applied to the computer.

Endpoint Protection

Disabled

Not used in my case, as I my client requirements I should follow :(

Hardware Inventory

Default to 7 days

Recommended to set 3 days or less

Metered Internet Connections

N/A

Not used in my case, as I my client requirements I should follow :(

Enrollment

N/A

Not used in my case, as I my client requirements I should follow :(

Network Access Protection

 

Not used in my case, as I my client requirements I should follow :(

Power Management

 

See doc CCM42-197 Power Management.docx

Remote Tools

 

Not used in my case, as I my client requirements I should follow L

Software Deployment

Default to 7 days, can be reduced if needed

Specify at what schedule clients re-evaluates its deployments.

Software Inventory

Default to 7 days

Recommended to set 3 days or less

Software Metering

Default to 7 days

 

Software Updates

Default

See doc CCM42-084 Patch Management.docx

State Messaging

Default 15 minutes

Specifies the schedule for when state messages is forwarded in the hierarchy

User and Device Affinity

 

Not used in my case, as I my client requirements I should follow :( at moment, described here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682067#BKMK_UserDeviceAffinityDeviceSettings

Above are configuration for my one of client as Examples on Client settings

No comments:

Post a Comment